Support and Advice
Historic England provides opportunities and advice which support Heritage Champions in their role.
Support for Heritage Champions
- Our Heritage Champions Handbook explains what a Champion can do and what support is available to you
- We send Heritage Champions a newsletter to keep you up to date on policy developments, the latest publications and our training programmes, such as Historic Environment Local Management
- We provide direct, one-to-one support through local and national events and training. At these events Heritage Champions can keep up to date on recent developments, develop skills and share ideas with other Champions
- We connect Heritage Champions to local networks. Your local Historic England office may be able to make contact with Champions in neighbouring authorities and develop local networks where you can share advice and discuss cross-border issues
National planning updates
We all know that planning is undergoing change: the Housing and Planning Act 2016 (and subsequent secondary legislation); the Neighbourhood Planning Bill; a proposed review of the National Planning Policy Framework. These planning changes once finalised will be the subject of briefing notes available from this web page.
Other sources of advice
In addition, Historic England has published advice documents and research reports which Heritage Champions find useful:
- The joint publication with the Local Government Association Making the most of your heritage assets
- The annual Heritage Counts reports, which include resources such as the Local Authority Profiles. Heritage Champions find these useful for understanding the scope of heritage in any given local authority
- For more details, see our Local Management page. This provides information on local authority and community management of the historic environment