Scarborough Bombardment 1914
Beginning at 8am on Wednesday 16 December 1914 two German battleships, Derfflinger and Von der Tann, bombarded the undefended Yorkshire seaside town of Scarborough for about half an hour. During that short period over 500 shells rained down on the castle and town, killing 17 inhabitants and injuring many more. Houses right across the town had walls blown out, roofs ripped off and windows smashed by shellfire and there was widespread panic as people quite understandably thought the bombardment was the precursor to a German invasion.
The castle was one of the first targets of the battleships. They began by directing their fire at the coastguard station on the cliff edge which was totally destroyed though the small company of men manning the look-out were safe in the shelter of a nearby underground cistern. Elsewhere in the castle grounds, the medieval curtain wall overlooking the town was hit by several shells making several breaches in the ancient defensive wall.
The battleships also sent shells towards the medieval keep at the heart of the castle. Constructed during the reign of King Henry II in the 1160s and with walls around 30 feet thick, the old building was hit twice but was able to withstand the damage. One shell pierced the wall and the other hit the corner of the building leaving scars that are still visible today.
English Heritage are keenly aware of the significance of the centenary of the bombardment and have created a film and a graphics story both entitled An Episode of War. The film focuses on the events at the castle and uses a mixture of photographs from the time alongside new artistic illustrations created by John Vallender.