Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara Sikh Centre (Formerly Christ Church), Ryhope Road, Sunderland - Sunderland

Formerly a parish church, built in 1862-64 by James Murray of Coventry. Closed by the Church of England, the building has been acquired by the Sikh community and continues as a place of worship. It contains high quality stained glass. A first phase of urgent repairs, including works to rainwater pipes and gutters, was completed in 2014 with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and Historic England Repair Grants for Places of Worship scheme. The spire is in need of urgent repair.

Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara Sikh Centre (Formerly Christ Church), Ryhope Road, Sunderland - Sunderland
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHRIST CHURCH INCLUDING ATTACHED VESTRY AND VERGER's HOUSE
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1209657
  • Local Planning Authority: Sunderland
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara Sikh Centre (Formerly Christ Church)
  • Street Name: Ryhope Road
  • County: Tyne and Wear
  • District / Borough: Sunderland
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Sunderland Central
  • Region: North East

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA

Contact Details

Kate Wilson 0191 269 1221

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England