'F' Pit Museum - colliery engine house, Albany Way (East side) - Sunderland

'F' Pit was sunk in 1777 but the engine house wasn't built until 1926. The pit closed in 1968 and the site was cleared, apart from the engine house. Representing a fine example of the winding technology used in the north east coalfield, the building re-opened as a museum in 1976. The museum continues to open to limited, seasonal, hours. However, the future of the building is uncertain and there has been no progress in preparing a condition survey.

'F' Pit Museum - colliery engine house, Albany Way (East side) - Sunderland
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: Colliery engine house at Washington F Pit, Albany
  • Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
  • List Entry Number: 1018224
  • Local Planning Authority: Sunderland
  • Site Type: Industrial > Mineral extraction site

Location

  • Building Name: 'F' Pit Museum - colliery engine house
  • Street Name: Albany Way (East side)
  • County: Tyne and Wear
  • District / Borough: Sunderland
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Washington and Sunderland West
  • Region: North East

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Building or structure
  • Condition: Poor
  • Occupancy / Use: Part occupied/part in use
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Local authority
  • Designation: Scheduled Monument and Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number(s): 1018224 and 1025422

Contact Details

Kate Wilson 0191 269 1221

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England