Exterior view of a door in Beaulieu Abbey
- 1940 - 1962
- Beaulieu Abbey, Beaulieu, New Forest, Hampshire
- Photograph (Negative)
Exterior detail of a wooden door with a triple pointed arch and decorative iron hinges. At the apex of the arch is a small canopied niche with a sculpture of a figure flanked by two panels with carvings. These carved panels are also seen in a horizontal line left of the door and installed at the height of the door. Around the outermost arch are small panels with reliefs of saints under trefoil arches. Some of the right side of the door is cropped off the image. Beaulieu was founded in 1204 by King John and was the first Cistercian foundation of the 13th century. The abbey was dissolved in 1538 and much of the buildings were dismantled.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Booty, E M
Medieval Cistercian Abbey
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.