Wigmore Hall and the north side of Wigmore Street viewed from the junction of Wimpole Street

Date:
Mar 1964
Location:
Wigmore Hall, 36-40 Wigmore Street, Marylebone, City Of Westminster, Greater London Authority, W1
Reference:
BB64/00455
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

Wigmore Hall was built for the German pianoforte manufacturers Bechstein whose showroom adjoined the hall. When it opened in 1901 it was known as the Bechstein Hall, but following the outbreak of the First World War Bechstein's British property was taken over by the government. It was auctioned in 1916 and reopened as the Wigmore Hall in 1917.

Content

This is part of the Job: 95/02482 Wigmore Hall; within the Sub Series: RCH01/002/045 RCHME Architectural Requests: Greater London Authority; within the Series: RCH01/002 Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England: Architectural Requests; within the Collection: RCH01 Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England (RCHME) Archive

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

Keywords

Edwardian Concert Hall, Edwardian Flats

Back
to top