This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WARCOP B6259 WARCOP (north side)
17/105 Warcop Hall 12.9.57 (formerly listed as Wharton Hall)
Large house of 3 main builds: west wing late C16; central block 1746 by Kelly; east addition late C19. C16 wing of sandstone blocks, rendered. 1746 of ashlar with horizontal grooving, rusticated quoins, moulded plinth, and eaves cornice.
C19 end coursed, squared rubble with quoins on chamfered plinth; corbels carry embattled parapet. All roofs graduated slate; west wing has stone end chimney with embattled cornice, central block has stone copings, kneelers and corniced chimneys. 2 storeys. 4-bay west wing (end bay projecting) has 2-light mullioned windows, mainly C19 reconstructions; original mullioned and transomed window to 1st floor. 6-bay central block has 5 circular steps up to panelled door in pedimented architrave with Ionic pilasters; 2 sashes to left, 3 to right and 5 above, all with original wide glazing bars in architrave. Rainwater heads to each end have heraldic device with motto FIDE ET AMORE. Single-bay C19 addition has 3-light mullioned and transomed window with mullioned 2-light window above. Extensive C19 additions to rear: original Venetian stair window to rear of central block.
Listing NGR: NY7471915728
Copyright IoE Mr Edward Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Thomas, Edward
Rights Holder: Thomas, Edward
Ashlar, Render, Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling