This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BICKINGTON BICKINGTON SX 77 SE 7/22 Lychgate at south entrance to St 23.8.55 Mary's Churchyard (formerly listed as Church gate) GV II
Lychgate. Build 1901, incorporating an early or mid C16 wooden arch. Roughcast stone and exposed timber-framing. Slated roof with chimney on east gable.
Building consists of an open ground storey with 2 small chambers on the east side; above is an enclosed chamber reached by an external stone staircase built round the south and east sides. 2 storeys. Ground storey has wide openings, front and back, with flat wood lintels carried on stone corbels; no windows in side-chambers.
Upper storey has widely-spaced vertical studding; 2-light window each side with trefoil-headed lights. In the centre of the open part of the ground storey is the C16 arch, about 2.5 metres wide with shouldered durn jambs, both jambs and lintel heavily moulded and carved with vine and scroll pattern. Within the arch is a centrally-pivoted gate of 1901. The southernmost of the 2 chambers to the east of this contains a panelled wooden seat. On the south face of the building is a metal plaque inscribed: "Mains water to Bickington 11th January 1962". There was certainly an earlier lychgate on this site, for the account of the 1883-4 restoration mentions "the ancient lych gate upon the south approach to the church".
Sources: Exeter Flying Post, 11.6.1884. Notes by C Fryer Cornelius displayed in the church.
Listing NGR: SX7997172660
Copyright IoE Mr M J Medley. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Medley, M J
Rights Holder: Medley, M J
Roughcast, Slate, Stone, Timber, Medieval Arch, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Lych Gate, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument