This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS4526 CHURCH WALK 842-1/6/76 (South side) 19/03/73 St Mary's Churchyard: 4 walls incl gates and railings on N and S sides (Formerly Listed as: Wall of churchyard of St Mary's Church)
Stone-rubble boudary-wall. Probably 1865. Most of it has a chamfered granite coping with the marks of former railings on top. Iron railings survive on north side, adjoining flight of steps; uprights with elaborated spear-heads, including twisted standards supported on the inside by twisted brackets. On south side is a pair of iron gates with more delicate spear-heads to the uprights; above it an arch of scrollwork, probably intended for a lampholder, supported by standards matching those on the north side. The gate may not be in its original position; a nearby granite plaque records the construction of this entrance to the churchyard in 1914. On the east side the wall has no granite coping. Instead the north half has a flat stone coping which sweeps upwards to a flat-topped pier near the north end. (Granville R: The History of Bideford: 1883-: P.100; Goaman M: Old Bideford and District: Bristol: 1968-: P.37).
Listing NGR: SS4537226445
This is part of the Series: IOE\Sanders_Tim IOE Records for Sanders, Tim; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr Tim Sanders. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Sanders, Tim
Rights Holder: Sanders, Tim
Granite, Iron, Rubble, Stone, Victorian Boundary Wall, Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Boundary, Gate, Unassigned, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Railings