This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS4526 THE QUAY 842-1/5/232 (East side) 37 cast-iron fence posts between Bridgeland St and Bideford Bridge
37 cast-iron fence-posts. Most dated 1847, one 1892. the remainder undated. Identical in design with tapered octagonal shafts and moulded caps, the sides panelled; at the top, holes to carry tubular iron bars (now removed), at the bottom, in most cases, mountings for rings (nearly all broken off), presumably intended to carry chains. The 3 posts adjoining the bridge have holes top and bottom, the section immediately next to the bridge now having C20 replacement-bars. Most carry an inscription moulded on one, or occasionally two panels: IRON FOUNDERS BIDEFORD 1847. Some lack the date or any inscription at all; the ninth post from the north has the date 1892. The surface-level of the quay has clearly risen considerably; probably the founder's name is on the buried sections of the posts. There is a gap in the centre of the series, corresponding roughly to the present working quay. The tubular bars seem to have been added after the widening of the quay in 1899; they were in position by 1905. Photographs of the early 1880s show chains hanging from the tops of the posts.
Listing NGR: SS4549126661
Copyright IoE Mr Tim Sanders. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Sanders, Tim
Rights Holder: Sanders, Tim
Cast Iron, Victorian Fence, Monument <By Form>, Barrier