This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MUCHELNEY CP SILVER STREET (North side) ST42SW LOWER MUCHELNEY 8/232 The Old School House - GV II
Former village school, now house. 1871-2, extended 1878 and 1883. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roof between coped gables with finials, saw-tooth ridge tiles; stone chimney stacks. A scholarly essay on the Priest's House (q.v). 'L'-plan, single-storey with attic, 4-bay east elevation. Bays 1 and 4 have 4-light C15 mullioned windows with square label; bay 2 has a 4-light mullioned and transomed traceried C15 'solar' window with label; to bay 3 a moulded pointed arched doorway with label, boarded door. South gable has bell-turret to south west corner, with a 4-light mullioned and transomed traceried window under square label and relieving arch.
westwards extension has catslide roof and later style detail. Interior not seen. Opened early 1872, and built by the Lord of the Manor as the Parochial School, it was closed in l960, and subsequently converted (VCH vol III, l974),
Listing NGR: ST4289624419
Copyright IoE Mr Graham Slocombe. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Slocombe, Graham
Rights Holder: Slocombe, Graham
Ham Hill Stone, Lias, Stone, Tile, Victorian Parish School, Education, School, House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Bell Tower, Religious Ritual And Funerary