Bryn-Y-Don / Calicut

5 Sep 1999
Bryn-Y-Don, Tythings Court, Minehead, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24 5NT
Show all locations
Calicut, Tythings Court, Minehead, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24 5NT
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.


SS9646 TYTHINGS COURT 900-1/3/101 (North side) 28/10/76 Calicut and Bryn-y-don


Farm buildings, probably linhays, now 2 cottages. Probably C17 with C19 alteration. Roughcast over cob on a rubblestone plinth, thatched roof, stepped down over the cottage to the left, with stacks to rear left and right. 1- and 2-unit plans, each with a lean-to to the rear, that to Calicut of cob and pantile, that to Bryn-y-don C19 rubblestone with a slate roof.

2 storeys; each cottage 2-window range. C20 windows and doors.

A door between the cottages leads to a through-passage. To the right the bays are articulated by circular cob columns. INTERIORS: Calicut to the left has 2 chamfered cross-beams to the ground floor. Bry-y-don has a covered stud wall to the room to the right and 2 chamfered cross-beams. The circular columns between the bays are apparent on the inside, and are consistent in their form with local inlay construction. HISTORY: the name Tythings Court implies that it was the ancient site for the meeting of the Minehead tything. (Binding H: Minehead: A New History: Minehead: 1977-: 31).

Listing NGR: SS9673846252


This is part of the Series: IOE01/1662 IOE Records taken by R M Rayner; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Mr R.M Rayner. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Rayner, R.M

Rights Holder: Rayner, R.M


Cob, Pantile, Roughcast, Rubble, Slate, Thatch, Tudor Farm Building, Elizabethan Agriculture And Subsistence, Stuart Agricultural Building, Jacobean Linhay, House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling