This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST5515NE YEOVIL CP HENDFORD (West side)
7/36 No 28 (Manor Hotel)
- - II
Town House, now a hotel. 1776, built for John Daniell. Ham Stone ashlar, with Welsh slated hipped roof behind parapets. 2-storey South East facade, set wall back from the road, of 5 bays; with a central Ionic porch with complete entablature and pediment, the attached columns merging into pilasters: three steps up to pair of 3-fielded panel doors; windows at both levels of 12-pane sashes in plain openings. The quoins are unmarked, but there is a plinth, first floor band course and a dentilled cornice below a plain parapet. The return elevations match: the South West side has 2-blind first floor windows; one ground floor window converted to french windows and another blocked (A early C20 2-storey extension to the West corner of little interest). The North East side, 5-bays, has 2-blind first floor windows, and a doorway centrally to ground floor with architrave and entablature terminating in a shallow flat hood - opening partly blocked and a window fitted; the window in bay 5 has been narrowed. John Daniel was a banker; the property originally known as Hendford House. Successor owners include John Greenham, Portreeve and Town Commissioner, and his son Frederick, Mayor of Yeovil 1856.
Listing NGR: ST5544015853
© Mr Brian Haigh. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haigh, Brian
Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian
Welsh Slate, Ashlar, Ham Hill Stone, Georgian Town House, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Hostel, Commercial, Residential Building