This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MORCHARD BISHOP CHURCH STREET (south side) SS 7607 - 7707 Morchard Bishop 11/136 - 2 Comyns chest tombs about 15 metres south of south porch of Church of St Mary GV II
2 adjacent chest tombs. Northern chest tomb circa 1831. Memorial to Reverend John Comyns Churchill (died 1831). Portland stone and white marble. Rectangular in plan with moulded sill and soffit-moulded flat lid. The sides contain sunken panels of white marble with hollow chamfered surrounds. John Comyns Churchill is commemorated on south side under a flat-arched head to panel. Other members of Church family are remembered on other sides. Southern chest tomb circa 1770. Memorial to Peter Comyns (died 1770). Volcanic ashlar and grey basalt. Rectangular in plan with plain ashlar sides on chamfered plinth and simple soffit moulded flat lid. The lid is inscribed and commemorates Peter Comyns and his wife Ann (died 1779) and other members of the Comyns family.
Listing NGR: SS7729407476
Copyright IoE Michael Woodhead. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Woodhead, Michael
Rights Holder: Woodhead, Michael
Ashlar, Basalt, Marble, Georgian Chest Tomb, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Tomb, Funerary Site, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative