Piers From Hospital Of The Virgin Mary Of Royal Grammar School

Date:
17 Jul 2000
Location:
Piers From Hospital Of The Virgin Mary Of Royal Grammar School, Eskdale Terrace, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear, NE2 4DX
Reference:
IOE01/00157/16
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

NZ 26 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ESKDALE TERRACE (west side) 9/233 Piers from Hospital of the Virgin Mary at Royal Grammar School G.V. II 2 piers, originally from Virgin Mary Hospital in Westgate Road and resited behind gate piers at school entrance. C13. Sandstone. Octagonal piers, each on square plinth and moulded base; nail-head band on moulded capitals; each has 2 courses of springing of chamfered arches and side arches. In the eighteenth century the Grammar School occupied the buildings of the former hospital; they were demolished when Neville Street was laid out c.1844.

Listing NGR: NZ2525165420

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Cottrell_Bob IOE Records for Cottrell, Bob; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cottrell, Bob

Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob

Keywords

Sandstone, Medieval Gate Pier, Unassigned, Grammar School, Education, Secondary School, School, Hospital, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare