This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 46 SW PARISH OF NORTH WINGFIELD ST LAWRENCE ROAD 4/21 (West Side) 31.1.67 Church of St Lawrence GV I
Church. C12, C14, C15 and C19. Coursed squared sandstone and sandstone ashlar. Copper roofs. West tower, nave with aisles and south porch, chancel, north transept and vestry. C15 west tower of four stages, divided by stringcourses. Angle buttresses. West door and 3-light window above. Clockface to north and south and pairs of 2-light bell-openings to each face. Frieze of shields and tracery motifs,and battlements. Embattled nave, chancel and aisles with 2- and 3-light windows to north and south sides under flat arches, the nave windows with cusping.
East window with reticulated tracery. Vestry window C14 with an unusual tracery pattern of encircled trefoils. Gabled south porch with a broad ogee-arched doorway and gableted pinnacles with niches. Pointed tunnel vault with transverse arches.
Studded oak plank door. The south aisle was rebuilt in 1860, the north aisle and the clerestory restored in 1872 by S Rollinson and there was a general restoration by R H Carpenter & Ingleow in 1878-80. Set in the south wall of the chancel, a C14 effigy of a knight within an ogee-arched recess. Inside, four bay arcades with two circular piers and semi-octagonal responds. Plainly moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. The western bay is a C15 addition with semi-octagonal responds and crude capitals with shields upside down. The tower arch with two concave chamfers has similar shields set correctly. Double chamfered chancel arch.
C12 window between the north transept and the vestry, large, with nailhead around the arch and up the jambs and curious elongated volutes to the capitals. Font at the east end of the south aisle, Norman large & circular with fluting to the lower parts. Font at the west end of the south aisle, octagonal with curvea sides, dated 1662. In the south porch a slab with foliated cross. Three C14 reliefs. At the east end of the south aisle the Martyrdom of St Lawrence under a cusped broad ogee arch. In the vestry north wall, the Annunciation under a crocketed and cusped ogee arch, and in the east wall, Christ and the Virgin in Majesty with Angels, a tripartite composition with cusped and crocketed ogee arches. Tomb recess on the north side of the chancel with a C13 effigy of a knight. By the south door, a monument to John and Mary Brailsford, 1714, with three composite columns on brackets and a pediment. Wall memorial on the south wall of the vestry to Thomas Holland 1776 with draped urn and weeping putto. Other C18 and early C19 wall tablets, including one to Rev Edward Lowe by J.Hadfield. Nave roof with C15 moulded tie beams. Early C20 rood screen with the C15 rood stair.
Stained glass in the east window, 1879, by Clayton & Bell. Many other windows with C19 stained glass.
Listing NGR: SK4046164462
Copyright IoE Mr Neil Haddy. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Haddy, Neil
Rights Holder: Haddy, Neil
Ashlar, Copper, Sandstone, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative