This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON HIGH ST, Wimbledon, Sii19 TQ 2371 TQ 2471 (north side) 5/65 6/65 Nos 70 and 70A/70B - II
Former fire station, now shops. Dated 1890. Red brick, steeply pitched tiled roof to eaves. 2 storeys. 2 main bays to High Street, each gabled, separated by 3 stage clock tower with arched open bell stage surmounted by copper cupola. C20 shops to ground floor except to base of tower which has arched entrance with tented canopy and panelled door. Square headed windows to upper floor, 3-light casements, glazing bars and arch motif to central light. Gable sweeps down to ground floor level on right hand side, and below is a circular window; glazing bars. Forms an important focal point in village.
Listing NGR: TQ2399371109
Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Philpott, Patricia
Rights Holder: Philpott, Patricia
Brick, Tile, Victorian Fire Station, Civil, Transport, Shop, Commercial