This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM 13 NW TATTINGSTONE CHURCH ROAD (SOUTH 4/106 SIDE)
22.2.55 Church of St Mary
Parish Church. C14 nave, C15 chancel, C15 north and C14 south porch, C14 west tower. C19 and earlier repairs and restorations, east wall of west tower rebuilt with brick and C20 restorations to south and west walls. Flint, rubble and red brick, some plaster and flint flushwork. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel:- Legacies of 1458 and 1459 were left for the building of the chancel and sanctuary. East wall, mainly of rubble with brick repair to gable apex. Corner buttresses, plinth carries through north and south walls. East window, restored, of 5 cinquefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, moulded 2-centred arch, label with lion mask stops. North and south walls each with 2 three-light windows, graduated transoms, moulded segmental heads and labels, buttresses between windows. Chamfered pointed segmental headed doorway, C19 board door to east of south wall buttress. Nave:- There are three windows to the south wall with the gabled south porch between the westernmost windows. Of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with quatrefoils over, chamfered 2-centred heads and labels, the eastern window is taller and wider, all C19/C20 restored. The north wall has a similar western window and an eastern window of 2 chamfered lights, 2-centred head and label; buttresses to angles. North porch:- Gabled with cross to apex. Blocked niche with moulded 2-centred head and label above doorway, moulded 2-centred arch, the inner order resting on shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Side windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights, 2-centred-heads and labels. Stone and flint flushwork panels to plinth, buttresses to outer angles. South porch:- Plastered, stone coping to gable. Moulded 2-centred arch and label over to outer doorway.
Panelled oak door. Circa 1911 for Rev C Elliot at a cost of 57 including ceiling, floor and east window of 2 lights, 4-centred head and label. West tower, crenellated, of 3 stages with buttresses to east wall issuing through roof of nave. Stepped angle buttresses to west wall. Band below bell chamber.
Moulded plinth with stone and flint diapering carrying through to western buttresses. Each face of the bell chamber has a louvred window of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights, quatrefoils over, 2-centred heads and labels. West face, small, blocked round headed light to second stage. First stage window of 3 trefoiled lights, quatrefoils over, chamfered 2-centred head and label. The tower has been much restored and repaired. Interior:- North porch, square red brick floor, 7 cant roof. Remains of stoup in south west corner. Fragments of old glass in west window depicting the star of the De Vere's, Earls of Oxford. North doorway, 2-centred arch and label with stylised head stops. Chancel, boarded 7 cant roof, bosses to moulded ribs, moulded and crenellated wall plates. south wall piscina, chamfered Tudor arch, drain covered. C19 coloured tiles to sanctuary lfoor. C19 iron and wood altar rails. C19 stained glass to windows. A pair of wall monuments flank the east window, each with centre arch, moulded base with coat of arms under, pilasters with crocketed pinnacles and carved head bases. Wall monument by Flaxman, black marble base with flag and anchor, in front of which is a white marble seated female figure in flowing robes, to Rear-Admiral Western 1814 and his wife Mary 1856. Organ by Bevington and Sons, London, to commemorate the jubilee of Queen Victoria, 1887. 1914-18 and 1939-45 war memorials to south wall. 2 floor slabs C18/C19 to Grant and Elliot families. No chancel arch.
Nave:- double hammerbeam roof of 4 bays, moulded wall plates. The carved heads are said to have been destroyed C17 by the Parliamentarian, William Dowsing and were restored during the 1930's. Worn C18 floor slab and 2 C19 floor slabs to Bell & Western families. C19/C20 stained glass to windows, most from the firm of Clayton and Bell. C19 and C20 wall monuments. C19 carved wood octagonal pulpit, stone base. C19 pews with carved front panels, poppyheads, panelled backs. C13 octagonal font with lancet panels, C19 stem and bases and wooden cover. Said to be a piscina in the south wall, hidden by the pulpit. Buttresses to the west tower project into the nave, there is no tower arch. Said to be 5 bells, 3 by John Darbie of Ipswich 1661, 1 by Thomas Mears, Whitechapel, 1795, the 5th inscribed "Ransomes and Sims Made Me, 1853," possibly the only bell in England cast by this firm. N Pevsner Suffolk 1974. James Lowe, Rector. St Mary's Church, Tattingstone 1979.
Listing NGR: TM1360437143
© Mr Russell Edwards. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Edwards, Russell
Rights Holder: Edwards, Russell
Brick, Flint, Plaster, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Grave Slab, Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, War Memorial