This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
EDINGTON INMEAD ST 95 SW (off east side) 5/158 The Priory 11.9.68 GV I Detached house. Late Medieval with some parts possibly incorporating part of monastic buildings of the Bonshommes (q.v.
Remains of Priory), rebuilt c1600 by Sir William Paulet and altered C17 and C18. Rubble stone, tiled roof with coped verges, ashlar and brick lateral stacks to rear. Main range with front wings, possibly representing the east wing of larger house demolished 1768. Two-storey, 5-window west front. 1930s central gabled porch with reset Tudor-arched doorway, two 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned casements to left, one restored 3-light mullioned casement to right. First floor has three 2-light hollow-chamfered mullioned casements one single casement and one 3-light mullioned casement with hoodmould over door, two corbels, possibly for statues, lead rainwater goods. Flanking wings of c1600 like towers with 3-light mullioned casement to ground floor, 3-light mullioned and transomed window to first, right wing has Tudor- arched doorway and 2-light mullioned casement facing courtyard, cornices to battlemented parapet, left return of left wing first floor C18 projecting garderobe with 3-light leaded oriel and double gabled roof, now with C20 boiler room below. Left return of main range has 2-light mullioned casement to first floor and 3-light mullioned casement with hoodmould to attic, buttress with offsets to left, partly within C20 flat-roofed lobby, C20 single-storey addition to left. Right return has two mullioned casements to ground floor, 3-light to first and 3-light with hoodmould to attic.
Rear has two canted projections with stone pitched cappings, probably housing former bread ovens of rear lateral stack, this range may have been kitchens, string course to first floor, two 3- light mullioned casements, dentilled stone cornice to battlemented parapet.
Interior: Central hall with restored open fireplace with former bread oven to right through Tudor-arched moulded stone doorway, unchamfered beams. Kitchen to left has partly blocked open fireplace, early C20 stairs ascend from this room. Dining room in north west wing with Tudor-arched doorway to C20 lobby. First floor retains more original features: 8-panelled wainscot doors, one in moulded architrave with ogee stops. Two-light C15 window with cusped lights and stained glass in remaining light in former external wall between main range and north west wing; Tudor-arched stone fireplace in bedroom with oriel closet. Rear bedroom has C17 plaster ceiling with central decorated panel with lions masks, foliage decoration and trees. Main bedroom to south has Tudor- arched fireplace in bathroom, C17 plaster ceiling with central decorated panel with foliage decoration, moulded cornice and trees in corners. Attic of main range has 6-bay butt purlin roof. On site of Priory of the Bonshommes, bought by Sir William Paulet after Dissolution, leased by Lady Beauchamp during C17 and occupied by the Winchester family, Earls of Bolton 1689-1768. Joshua Smith pulled down most of the large house in 1768, leaving only the present range.
(Unpublished records of RCHME, Salisbury )
Listing NGR: ST9260353364
© Mr Ron L Pybus. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Pybus, Ron L
Rights Holder: Pybus, Ron L
Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Detached House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan House, Domestic, Dwelling, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Bonhommes Monastery, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Monastery, Religious House, Priory
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.