This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
EDINGTON EDINGTON VILLAGE ST 95 SW (north side) 5/157 Remains of Abbey or Priory in grounds of The Monastery 11.9.68 Garden GV I Walls of former priory enclosing two large rectangular gardens.
Probably C14, altered during early C17 for Sir William Paulet and Lady Beauchamp. Dressed limestone and rubble stone. Walls are approximately 3-4 metres high, with pitched or saddlebacked stone coping. Northern enclosure entered from south by C18 semi- circular arched gateway with moulded imposts and keystone, two pineapple urns set on top of wall coping, angled north west corner of this enclosure has moulded stone Tudor-arched doorway, possibly C15. South enclosure has two garden features of c1600: a pair of shell-headed niches with strapwork-carved frieze and moulded cornice set into west side, between garden and churchyard and a 2- bay loggia on south wall with chanelled rustication to square piers and semi-circular arches with imposts decorated with pellets, strapwork-carved frieze to moulded cornice and double gables, rear is canted out from wall with Welsh slate lean-to roof, interior has recessed wooden panelling and wooden seat. Enclosure to north of Church of St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints (q.v.), has north wall retaining remains of monastic building; 40 metre length of ashlar wall with pitched coping incorporating cylindrical piers as buttresses with conical cappings and moulded bases. The wall is clearly a later addition to the piers, which may have formed part of the claustral buildings on the north side of the church, ten bays are represented, extending west to The Priory (q.v.).
William of Edington founded a chantry here in 1351, at a church formerly held by the Abbess of Romsey, the foundation was transferred to the Bonshommes and the present Church (q.v.) dedicated in 1361. The monastic enclosure lay to the north and the walls, although subsequently altered and repaired are all that remain. After the Dissolution the buildings and land were granted to Sir Thomas Seymour and then bought by Sir William Paulet, Marquis of Winchester, who probably created the garden features.
Scheduled Ancient Monument, Wiltshire, No 828.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965; RCHM (England), Salisbury; unpublished records)
Listing NGR: ST9266453504
Copyright IoE Mr Ron L Pybus. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Pybus, Ron L
Rights Holder: Pybus, Ron L
Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Chantry College, Religious Ritual And Funerary, College Of Secular Priests, Cloister, Bonhommes Monastery, Monastery, Religious House, Priory, Gate, Unassigned, Garden Wall, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Feature, Loggia, Garden Building