Church Of St David
- 16 Aug 2000
- Church Of St David, Churchyard Lane, Thelbridge, Mid Devon, Devon
- Photograph (Digital)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
THELBRIDGE CHURCHYARD LANE SS 71 SE 2/259 - Church of St David 26.8.65 - II*
Parish Church. Medieval origins, completely rebuilt by Packham and Croote 1872-5.
Chancel corner stone dated 1872 and tower buttress foundation stone inscribed Samuel Rosegood, Rector; George Packham, Architect; and James Parish, Builder. Snecked, rock-faced volcanic stone with veined voncanic ashlar detail to nave and chancel and Bathstone detail to tower; slate roof. Nave with lower chancel, west tower, vestry on north side of chancel, south porch. Gothic-style, a mixture of early Decorated, Perpendicular and Tudor. West tower in 2 stages with low offset angle and embattled parapet with Bathstone corner finials raised on volcanic pinnacles. 2 bold drip courses, the upper course with large carved gargoyle heads on each corner. Large arch-headed 2-light simple Decorated-style belfry windows on each side. North side of tower has semi-octagonal stair turret with shoulder-headed external door which contains original C19 door with ornate strap hinges. West side has volcanic ashlar doorway and 2-centred arch with moulded surround and containing double doors with ornate strap hinges. Above door is an arch-headed 2-light window similar to the belfry windows. South side of tower has 2 trefoil-headed lancets to ground floor and a round window with cusped tracery to ringing floor. South side of nave has 2 volcanic ashlar square-headed 3-light windows with trefoil heads, sunken spandrels and hoodmoulds. Gable-ended south porch between windows has volcanic double- chamfered 2 centred outer arch, shaped kneelers and plain coping surmounted by a cross of Iona. Chancel is lower and narrower than nave, and ends of both nave and chancel have shaped kneelers and coping surmounted by a plain Latin cross; some of chancel coping replaced with C20 concrete. South side of chancel has 3 square-headed single light windows, all with trefoil heads, sunken spandrels and hoodmoulds.
Chancel is lower and narrower than nave, and ends of both nave and chancel have shaped kneelers and coping surmounted by a plain Latin cross; some of chancel coping replaced with C20 concrete. South side of chancel has 3 square-headed single light windows, all with trefoil heads, sunken spandrels and hoodmoulds. East end of chancel has arch-headed 3-light Perpendicular-style window in which some of the tracery may be reused C15 work. Gable-ended vestry at right angles on north side of chancel and includes a 2-light square-headed window. North side of nave has two 3- light windows in same style as those on south front.
Interior: Porch has ceiled and vaulted roof. South door is a 2-centred arch with chamfered surround and contains a studded plank door with applied panelled coverstrips, plain strap hinges with fleur-de-lys finials and an oak lock-case; possibly heavily-restored original. Nave has plain ceiled vault and chancel has 3- bay Gothick false hammer beam roof with arch-braced trusses and raking queen struts.
Plain chancel and tower arches. Timber gothic-style panelled screen across tower arch includes range of windows with gothic-style glazing bars. Timber gothic-style reredos has painted panels painted with sacred monograms and symbols of the Holy Trinity and is flanked by boards containing painted texts on painted ribbons with grapes or a wheat-sheath. Oak altar rail on wrought-iron supports featuring unusual floral decoration in brackets. C19 organ on south side of chancel with small plaque recording 'rebuilt by Geo.Oswald and Co. of Taunton'. Victorian stained glass in chancel. Accounts describe gothic-style pulpit and pews as 'modern' in 1848 and Norman-style Beerstone font is pre-1848. No monuments.
Sources: Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SS7875412160
© Michael Woodhead. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Woodhead, Michael
Rights Holder: Woodhead, Michael
Ashlar, Bath Stone, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument