Lower Strines Farmhouse / Lower Strines Cottage / Lower Strines

Date:
26 Jun 2000
Location:
Lower Strines Farmhouse, New Road, Blackshaw, Calderdale, West Yorkshire, HX7 7HZ
Show all locations
Lower Strines Cottage, New Road, Blackshaw, Calderdale, West Yorkshire, HX7 7HZ
Lower Strines, New Road, Blackshaw, Calderdale, West Yorkshire, HX7 7HZ
Reference:
IOE01/02175/34
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SD 92NE BLACKSHAW C.P. NEW ROAD, SD 957284 Colden 7/31 Lower Strines Farmhouse and Lower Strines Cottage 1.11.66 (formerly listed as Lower Strines) G.V. II

House, late C16 wing with slightly later (c.1600) main range, now forms 2 dwellings. Large dressed stone, stone slate roof. Hall-and-crosswing plan with rear baffle entry. 2 storeys. Wing set slightly forward from main range has rebuilt (c.1980) west front which retains double chamfered mullioned windows with arched heads and sunken spandrels of 5 lights. These have hoodmoulds with straight returns with 3-light window over to 1st floor. Housebody has double chamfered mullioned windows to ground floor retaining some ovolo moulded mullions. 2-light fire-window, 6-light housebody window with king mullion and same to parlour window. 1st floor has chamfered mullioned windows. Single light over fire-window inserted c.1980; two 3-light windows. Attached to left hand return wall is single cell extension c.1980 out of sympathy with the building. Rear has single light to left of 3-light window. 2 chamfered windows formerly of 2 lights to 1st floor. Doorway, at junction with wing, has cyma moulded surround. Wing has 5-light chamfered windows with arched heads. 2- light flat faced mullioned window over to 1st floor. Right hand return wall has extruded gable stack. One other stack to ridge.

Interior: Division wall between wing and housebody has 2 doorways with roll- moulded surround to either side of the former dais end of the original single storey hall the roofline of which is still visible. This end is now altered to form the smoke bay and retains its bressumer and reeded spine beams. Parlour has fine fireplace with basket arch, cyma moulded surround and deeply sunken spandrels. The eastern spine beam has a groove to its soffit and it would appear that formerly service rooms were divided from the parlour. C.F. Stell, p.114, 263, 276, 283.

Listing NGR: SD9577528408

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1072 IOE Records taken by Norman Hurst; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Norman Hurst. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Hurst, Norman

Rights Holder: Hurst, Norman

Keywords

Stone, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling

Back
to top