Highfield House / 1 And 3 Highfield Park

Date:
1 Apr 2001
Location:
Highfield House, Highfield Park, Stockport, Greater Manchester, SK4 3HD
Show all locations
1 And 3 Highfield Park, Stockport, Greater Manchester, SK4 3HD
Reference:
IOE01/02214/35
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

1. HIGHFIELD PARK 5086 (east side) Heaton Norris SJ 8690

17/190 Nos. 1 and 3

II GV

2.

House now 2 dwellings. c 1830, altered late C19, subdivided c 1928. Stuccoed brick, graduated Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys with cellars, 5 bays with 1-storey, l-bay addition to front left and 2-storey, 3-bay wing to rear right. Bay 3 is narrow, recessed and has original porch with part-glazed double door and cusped- tracery fanlight beneath chamfered Tudor arch with headmould; embattled parapet rising to peak over door. Across bays 4 and 5 is a canted, 1-storey bay window having large 4-pane sashes with hoodmoulds; blank shield to parapet as porch.

To bays 1 and 2 are later, rectangular bay windows having casements with transoms and flat roofs. 1st floor: blocks to projecting sills of tall paired sashes with margin-glazed, Tudor-arched lights; bay 3 has later casement; windows of bays 3 and 4 have hoodmoulds and are set beneath gables with applied studding and plain bargeboards. Altered brick stacks to left end, to near-centre of ridge and behind ridge on right. C20 addition to left of main range has 4-light transom window and parapet as main porch. Right return: gabled main range; windows as front. Wing set back on right has 1-storey rectangular bay window with shield beneath parapet as porch.

Interior: Main ground-floor rooms of No. 1 have floral-tile insets to cast-iron fireplaces in Gothic-style marble surrounds (the left room has later mahogany overmantel); both bay windows have stained-glass transom lights and both rooms have moulded plaster ceilings with geometric design incorporating fleur-de-lys and fruiting vines. The 1-storey addition has an Edwardian chimneypiece and dado panelling said to be from a former, detached billiard room to rear of the house.

1st floor: patent, Edwardian bath/shower compartment; mid C19 cast-iron/tile fireplaces in marble surrounds. No. 3: part-glazed, panelled inner porch doors have Tudor-arched lights and painted-glass Gothick fanlight. Front-right room has enriched cornice; room to rear wing has moulded plaster ceiling with clustered- heart motifs. Staircase and landing balustrade of cusped, cast-iron panels to wooden handrail; Tudor arches off landing lit by painted-glass lantern.

Highfield House, as it was known, has James Pritchard as its first recorded occupant; he was succeeded by Samuel Lamb in 1832 then members of the Marsland family from 1847 (Eaton p.18). The house is clearly shown in an established setting on the 1848 Tithe Map; it then occupied a fashionable, elevated site overlooking the Mersey Valley.

J Eaton, 'Heaton Mersey 1188 to 1981', typescript in Stockport Central Library.

Listing NGR: SJ8688490698

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2064 IOE Records taken by Derek Trillo; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Derek Trillo. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Trillo, Derek

Rights Holder: Trillo, Derek

Keywords

Brick, Stucco, Welsh Slate, Georgian House, Victorian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling

Back
to top