This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 19 SW BUSHEY HIGH ROAD (Northeast side) Bushey Heath
10/78 Church of St. Peter -
Parish Church. Originally 1836-8. Chancel rebuilt 1891 by J.Neale and the rest 1911 by G.H.Fellowes Prynne. Extended 1921. Rock-faced Kentish ragstone. Ashlar quoins and dressings. Tiled roofs. Gothic Revival Style: Early English chancel, Flamboyant nave and tower. A large church with a 5-bay nave and aisles, double transepts, 2-bay chancel, organ bay, vestry, SE chapel, W baptistery and prominent SW tower. W end: large 5-light window with curvilinear tracery over octagonal baptistery of 1921. 2-stage buttresses with pointed heads. Plinth, string courses, coped gable parapet. 12-light aisle windows to W. 3 stage tower, paired slits below a segmental headed 2-light window. Upper belfry stage with pointed heads to openings, flanking traceried blind lancets. Clasping buttresses chamfered at upper stage. Decorative corbelling below moulded cornice to crenellated parapet with octagonal corners. Main entrance to S in tower: 4 centred arched headed double doors with elaborate iron hinges, moulded and chamfered jambs. Shallow porch: timber with carved tracery and caryatids on a stone base, hipped roof. Above porch a statue in a canopied niche with flanking traceried lancets. At SE angle of tower is a semi-octagonal stair turret with slit windows rising to second stage. S aisle has three 2-light windows with curvilinear tracery. 5 similar windows to N aisle. Buttresses with pointed heads.
Quatrefoil lights in clerestoreys. Close eaves. Double gabled transepts with two 3-light windows. Entrances in angles with aisles. Coped parapet from nave and aisle roofs to lower chancel: E end, foundation stone below 5-light window, pointed head, geometrical tracery, straight buttresses, coped gable end parapet. To S: 2 lancets with trefoiled heads. Projecting gabled bay to W end of chancel S wall. Extending from E wall of S transept is Chapel of St. George, 1921, 2 bays of 3-light windows, trefoiled heads in square chamfered surrounds. Plain parapet.
Apsidal E end, 2-light windows, straight buttresses. Gabled vestry to SE organ bay and 1-storey vestry to NE. Interior: 5-bay N arcade and 4-bay S arcade: octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases and low relief ornament to chamfered and moulded pointed arches, shafts with angel caryatids rise from arcades to ceiled roof. Pointed, moulded chancel arch with shafts in responds. Blank triple arcades to N and S chancel walls. Sedilia and piscina to E with foiled heads in pointed arch. Large relieving arch to N. 2 broad arches to organ bay to N. Blocked arch at E end of S aisle. Blank triple arcade to S wall to entrance to chapel.
Altar frontal c.1891, 5 canopied panels with figures in beaten brass. W window by H.Holiday 1917-18. E window, Crucifixion, by Kemp. (VCH 1923: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1454894433
© Mr V. M. Geduld. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Geduld, V. M.
Rights Holder: Geduld, V. M.
Ashlar, Tile, Georgian Parish Church, Victorian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.