This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
GREAT BEALINGS (Off) LOWER STREET TM 24 NW (East Side) 4/70 Kiln Farmhouse G.V. II House, formerly farmhouse. C16 or early C17 with addition of c.1813 (dated on right hand side). Timber framed with brick skin and red Flemish bond brick with pantile roof. Entrance front: of c.1813. Three bays symmetrically disposed, divided by pilasters with similar pilasters at far right and left. Slightly projecting plinth which dies back by an offset and rendered and grooved in imitation of ashlar. Stone band between the floors. To the ground floor at centre is a C20 doorway with panelled surround, the door having 6 panels. To either side of this are sash windows of 3x4 panes with flat arched heads of rubbed brick. These are set in slightly recessed panels around which are relieving arches, which have rubbed brick voussoirs to their basket arches. To the first floor are three sash windows of 3x4 panes with flat-arched heads. Deep eaves above and hipped roof. The right hand side of this front range is blank, save for the date and the initials W.B. and W.D. cut into bricks. C20 extension at right of this with a tripartite door surround, the central glazed door having side lights. Two-light casement to the first floor. Recessed and at right of this is the C16 wing which is rendered and has a glazed C20 doorway to the ground floor at right and above this a single-light and a 2- light casement window. The left hand side has sash windows to the right with ground and first floor sash windows of 3x4 panes which have been inserted in the C20 and to left of this 2-light C20 casement windows to the ground floor. To left again is a single-storey porch which has a glazed door and crow-stepped gable above. To left of this are two 2-light casements and to the first floor a 2-light and a single-light casement, with a band of 2 bricks depth at the level of their sill.
Interior: the staircase hall has a staircase of two flights with a 1/4- landing, having stick balusters, a ramped handrail and wreathed curtail.
The cornice to the lower hall is dentilled with moulded brackets. To the C16/C17 wing are chamfered ceiling beams with stepped run-out stops and similarly moulded joists. Jowled wall posts to the first floor of this wing and one door frame with 4-centered arch, probably of Cl9 date, cambered tie beams one with closed truss above. Some re-used timbers.
Arched wind braces and collars with staggered purlins to the roof.
Listing NGR: TM2351248723
© R H MacMillan. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Macmillan, R H
Rights Holder: Macmillan, R H
Brick, Pantile, Render, Timber, Medieval Farmhouse, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan Agricultural Dwelling, Stuart Dwelling, Jacobean House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Timber Framed House, Monument (By Form), Timber Framed Building
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.