Church Of All Saints

Date:
5 Jul 2000
Location:
Church Of All Saints, Church Hill, Brighton, Brighton And Hove, East Sussex
Reference:
IOE01/02342/01
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BRIGHTON

TQ3009SW CHURCH HILL, Patcham 577-1/15/1001 (East side) 13/10/52 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Anglican church. Nave C12. tower C13 and chancel C14; restorations 1824-5, 1856, 1883, 1898 and 1989; north aisle and vestry added 1898. Flint with stone dressings, the walls all rendered except for the north aisle and vestry, which are of flint with brick bands and dressings; roof of tiles except to tower which is slated. Chancel, nave, north aisle, west tower, south porch and vestry. EXTERIOR: east window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery under a hoodmould; 2 lancets with trefoiled heads on south side of chancel; 2-light window with similar detailing to nave, east of porch; then a 2-light window with ogee heads under a flat hoodmould between porch and tower; east and west angles of the nave buttressed; east window to north aisle of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery, and a louvre window in apex of gable; 3 north windows, the easternmost as for east window of north aisle; the 2 western windows are of 3 lights with cinquefoil heads under a flat hoodmould, and one dates from the first half of the C19; stones from what appears to be a Norman doorway are in the north wall of the aisle; west window of north aisle curvilinear. West tower with massive angle buttressing at south-west corner; 3 narrow lancets in west face of tower and splay-footed spire. Gabled south porch with C14 pointed-arched entrance. INTERIOR: chancel reordered 1989, leaving a panelled dado at the east end and part of the side walls, of 1883 apart from the 'reredos', made from choir stalls dismembered in 1989; north wall has the chalk monument of Richard Shelley (died 1594) with grave-diggers flanking the family arms; chancel roof boarded and panelled; the chancel arch is round-arched with replacement impost blocks (1964) and a C13 wall-painting of Christ in Judgment remaining in part above it, and revealed in 1879; nave of 3 bays: octagonal piers with simplified water-leaf capitals supporting pointed arches with an inner order of stone, chamfered, and an outer order of moulded brick; queen-post roof to nave, probably of late C16 date; the level of the chancel floor extends into the nave following reordering in 1989. (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Barrows A, Harben J & Oldfield E: All Saints' Patcham Church Guide and Parish History: Brighton: 1990-).



Listing NGR: TQ3023209087

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1635 IOE Records taken by Robert E Priest; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Robert E Priest. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Priest, Robert E

Rights Holder: Priest, Robert E

Keywords

Brick, Flint, Render, Slate, Stone, Tile, Medieval Anglican Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Painting, Unassigned, Decorative Surface, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative

Back
to top