Church Of St Mary
- 15 Jan 2001
- Church Of St Mary, Church Road, Caterham, Tandridge, Surrey, CR3 5UE
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 35NW CATERHAM & WARLINGHAM CHURCH ROAD, FORMER URBAN DISTRICT CATERHAM 2/14 Church of St. Mary II
Church 1866-88 by W. and C.A. Bassett Smith in Middle Pointed style. Extended in early C20. Flint with stone dressings, plain tiled root's with ridge custings.
Nave with aisles, chancel with chapels and square tower to south west corner.
Offset set back buttresses to 3 stage tower with shingled broach spire on corbel band. Gabled louvred openings to spire with iron finial to top.
Interior: 5 bay nave arcades on compound piers of lobed section. Bell moulded chancel arch with small marble columns on brackets to responds and angel stops to hood moulding. 3 bay chancel with painted wood ceiling. Iron rood screen on marble panelled dado walls. C20 fittings with round font on central stem and marble angle columns.
Reredos: plaster and alabaster painted and gilt showing scenes of the life of the Virgin by Sir Ninian Comper.
Listing NGR: TQ3363855402
© Mr Desmond Pye. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Pye, Desmond
Rights Holder: Pye, Desmond
Flint, Stone, Tile, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship