The Parish Church Of St Giles
- 21 Jul 2000
- The Parish Church Of St Giles, The Street, Graffham, Chichester, West Sussex, GU28 0NP
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 91 NW GRAFFHAM THE STREET 18/8 The Parish Church of 18.6.59 St Giles
II Chancel with vestry to north and south chapel, nave with aisles and west tower with broached shingled spire. The two westernmost arches of the nave arcade are C12. The remainder of the church was rebuilt in 1875 in memory of Bishop Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Winchester, who lived at Lavington Park in the adjoining parish of East Lavington from 1845-73. Architect G E Street. The tower was added in 1887. Bishop Wilberforce's brother-in-law, Archdeacon (afterwards Cardinal) Henry Edward Manning was Rector of this parish jointly with East Lavington from 1833-51.
Listing NGR: SU9286916756
© Mrs M Cleaver. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Cleaver, M
Rights Holder: Cleaver, M
Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative