This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
COLD HIGHAM BANBURY LANE SP65SE (North side) 7/34 Church of St. Luke 17/05/60
Church. C13, C14. Restored, chancel rebuilt, north aisle and organ chamber added 1879 by E.F. Law. Coursed squared ironstone, slate roof with tiled ridges to chancel, copper roofs to body of church and stone slate roof to tower. Chancel, organ chamber, nave, north aisle, south chapel and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light geometrical east window, 1-light window to south-east with cusped heads, 2-light Decorated window to south-west. Tomb recess to south with colonnettes; moulded capitals, hollow-chamfered segmental arch and hood mould framing chest tomb supporting gravestone with foliated cross. Organ chamber to north has hollow-chamfered east door, 2-light window to north with plate tracery and transom and gable above. North aisle has north door with sunk quadrant moulding and 2-light Decorated windows. Nave has south door with sunk quadrant moulding and 2-light Decorated window to south-west. South chapel has 2-light Decorated east window with cusped heads to lights and quatrefoil to head, similar window to south and small low-side 1-light blocked window to south, possibly Saxon, with splayed jambs and pointed head carved of one stone. 3-stage west tower has lancet window to west, blocked 1-light window or niche to middle stage west and small 1-light window to middle stage south with chamfered stone surround and straight head. 2-light bell-chamber openings, that to south, with cusped heads to lights and quatrefoil to head. Plain stone-coped parapet to north and south and saddleback roof with 1-light windows to stone-coped east and west gables.
Plain stone-coped parapets to body of church, corbelled stone eaves to chancel.
Most windows and all doors have hood moulds. Interior: chancel arch has plain piers, imposts and double-chamfered arch dying into wall. Nave has C19 4-bay north arcade with circular piers and double-chamfered arches. Chamfered arch to south chapel dying into piers with sunk-quadrant mouldings and hood mould, Chapel has piscina with chamfered arch and fine tomb recess to south with triple sunk-quadrant moulded ogee arch with ball-flower ornament flanked by crocketed pinnacles. C19 stained glass windows to chapel. Monuments: fine oaken effigy of cross-legged knight in chapel tomb recess on tomb chest with ogee-headed panels containing shields. Believed to commemorate Sir John de Patteshall 1292-1349.
Small brass wall monument with moulded stone surround to Edward Norris, d.l695.
Grey veined marble wall monument to John Aylworth, d.1729, with open pediment, painted crest and cartouche of arms to apron. Vertical oval limestone wall monument to Rev. John Nixon, d.1777, with small cartouche of arms above: supporting bracket signed Wm. Cox/Daventry. White marble wall monument, topped by urn, to Rev. John Bishop, d.1817.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, p,15S; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928).
Listing NGR: SP6627053513
© Rod Poxon. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Poxon, Rod
Rights Holder: Poxon, Rod
Copper, Ironstone, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.