The Oratory / The Oratory Priests' House

Date:
24 Jun 2001
Location:
The Oratory, Hagley Road B16, Birmingham, West Midlands, B16 8UE
Show all locations
The Oratory Priests' House, 141 Hagley Road B16, Birmingham, West Midlands, B16 8UE
Reference:
IOE01/02461/20
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

HAGLEY ROAD 1.

5104 (north side) Edgbaston B16 No 141 (The Oratory Priests' Home) (formerly listed as The Oratory) SP 0488 SE 36/2 25.4.52 II* GV 2.

185O-1. Red brick with stone dressings; slate roof. Three storeys; 5 bays with quoins left and right. In an Italian Renaissance style. Grould floor with central panelled door within stone surround with cornice and superimposed segment headed panel flanked by vaults and 4 windws with stone eared and corniced surrounds. Guilloche band at first floor level and a moulded band at first sill level. First floor with 5 windows, the central one with eared and corniced surround, the others with simple moulded surrounds. Cornice band at second floor level. Second floor with 5 almost square windows, the centre with eared surround, the others with simple surrounds. Eaves cornice with dentils and mouldings. The home from 1852 to 1890 of John Henry, Cardinal Newman with his rooms preserved in original condition.



Listing NGR: SP0494286037

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0558 IOE Records taken by John Davis; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Dr John Davis. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Davis, John

Rights Holder: Davis, John

Keywords

Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Priests House, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling

Back
to top