Garden Walls Enclosing Orchard In The Grounds Of Bishopstrow House And The Coach House

Date:
10 Aug 2000
Location:
Garden Walls Enclosing Orchard In The Grounds Of Bishopstrow House And The Coach House, Warminster Road, Bishopstrow, West Wiltshire, Wiltshire, BA12 9HH
Reference:
IOE01/02471/16
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BISHOPSTROW WARMINSTER ROAD ST 84 SE (south side) 3/17 Garden walls enclosing orchard in the grounds of Bishopstrow House 11.11.76 and the Coach House

GV II

Garden walls. Late C18. Flemish bond and English garden wall bond brick, flat limestone coping. Approximately 4 metres high, extends from about 60 metres south west of tunnel (q.v.) south east for about 150 metres to the Coach House (q.v.), this section has raking buttresses on south side and round-arched and square openings. A shorter section, about 50 metres long runs between the Coach House (q.v.) and Mill Lane, and has segmental archway. Walls part of gardens of former Bishopstrow House on south side of Warminster Road, this house destroyed c.1800 and replaced 1817 by present Bishopstrow House (q.v.) to north of road.

Listing NGR: ST8975044044

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0297 IOE Records taken by Geraldine Bunn; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Bunn, Geraldine

Rights Holder: Bunn, Geraldine

Keywords

Brick, Georgian Garden Wall, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Orchard, Agriculture And Subsistence, Land Use Site, Managed Woodland

Back
to top