Chrch Of The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary / Church Of The Assumption And St Mary

Date:
11 Aug 2000
Location:
Chrch Of The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary, Longbridge Deverill, West Wiltshire, Wiltshire, BA12 7EQ
Show all locations
Church Of The Assumption And St Mary, Longbridge Deverill, West Wiltshire, Wiltshire, BA12 7EQ
Reference:
IOE01/02471/25
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ST 84 SE LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL HILL DEVERILL (east side) Church of The Assumption and St Mary 3/189 (formerly listed as the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary) 6.9.82

GV II

Anglican parish church, now redundant. 1843 rebuilding by Chapman and Sons. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof, ashlar bellcote. Plan: nave, chancel, west entrance and bellcote. Pre- archaeololgical Gothic style. West end has pointed chamfered doorway with planked door and hoodmould, lancet over with hoodmould, diagonal butresses, coped verge. Gabled bellcote with one pointed opening. South side of nave has three chamfered pointed windows with hoodmoulds chancel has two pointed windows with hoodmoulds, butresses with offsets. East end has diagonal butresses and pointed window with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. North side has similar windows as south; all windows diamond-leaded.

Dentilled eaves cornices, coped verges with kneelers and cross finials. Interior has 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel; plain chamfered pointed chancel arch. Vestibule and stairs to gallery at west end. Plain plastered walls, tie-beam trusses. All fittings removed since church made redundant in 1980's, including Ludlow C16 chest tomb now in Bath chapel at Church of St Peter and St Paul, Church Street (q.v.). Some wall tablets retained at time of survey (June 1985); in chancel an oval tablet with carved drapery and crest to Rachel Coker died 1699 and a classical marble tablet with urn to William Morse died 1793, Gothic-style tablet to Mary Clifford died 1793, in nave. Acquired for conversion to dwelling, June 1985. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST8678740275

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0297 IOE Records taken by Geraldine Bunn; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Bunn, Geraldine

Rights Holder: Bunn, Geraldine

Keywords

Ashlar, Limestone, Welsh Slate, Stuart Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Anglican Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Parish Church, Bell Tower

Back
to top