- 1 Jun 2000
- Leathley Hall, Leathley Lane, Leathley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SE 24 NW LEATHLEY LEATHLEY LANE (east side, off) 4/50 Leathley Hall
House. Early C18 and C19. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 9 first-floor windows, the central 3-window block breaking forward slightly and gabled. Alternate chamfered quoins to wings and central block. C20 central glazed double doors with fanlight, flanking columns with open pediment. Flanking and 3 first-floor windows to central block are narrow, 8-pane sashes with moulded architraves. Flanking wings have larger sashes with glazing bars and moulded architraves to ground and first floors. String-course at first-floor level curves up to quoins of side wings. Gable to central block and left end have shaped kneelers. M- shaped roof, ashlar coping left, hipped roof right. Ridge stacks left and flanking centre block. Interior not inspected. The house appears to have been the manor house of Leathley until it was sold to Walter Ramsden Fawkes of Farnley in the second half of the C18. The name 'Manor house' is now applied to..another, smaller, house in the village (qv). Robert Hitch (d 1723) occupied it as Lord of the Manor in the early C18 and in his diary entry for 13 February 1718 John Warburton recorded that Robert had been 'adorning and beautifying it with a new south front, a wing to the east, and outhouses, offices, gardens and other embellishments'. For further information see H Speight, Upper Wharfedale, London, 1900, p 112.
Listing NGR: SE2365746811
© Mr Andrew Crompton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Crompton, Andrew
Rights Holder: Crompton, Andrew
Ashlar, Gritstone (Sandstone), Stone, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling