Greenbank Cemetery Pair Of Attached Mortuary Chapels / Chapels At Greenbank Cemetery

Date:
7 Sep 2001
Location:
Greenbank Cemetery Pair Of Attached Mortuary Chapels, Greenbank Road, Bristol, BS5 6HL
Show all locations
Chapels At Greenbank Cemetery, Greenbank Road, Bristol, BS5 6HL
Reference:
IOE01/02500/11
Type:
Photograph (Digital)

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BRISTOL

ST6174 GREENBANK ROAD, Eastville 901-1/38/1258 (North side (off)) 13/11/89 Greenbank Cemetery: pair of attached mortuary chapels (Formerly Listed as: GREENBANK ROAD, Eastville Chapels at Greenbank Cemetery)

GV II

Pair of attached mortuary chapels. 1871. By Henry Masters. Squared Pennant rubble with polychromatic limestone and sandstone dressings and granite details, and slate roof with striped pattern and decorative iron ridge. Axial plan of 2 chapels linked by an open cloister with a central tower. High Victorian Gothic Revival style. Alternate red and white voussoirs to the arches; either side of the tower are blocked lancet arches over low, shouldered openings, with a central red column and crocketed capital. The tympanum on the SW side has a carved tableau of Christ and the disciples, and on the NE side the inscription GREENBANK/ CEMETERY/ OPENED 1871/ ENLARGED 1881; above are crocketed flush gables with angel corbels at the eaves. The base of the tower has a scalloped, weathered ashlar eaves course, leading to an octagonal section with oculi at the top and a weathered coping course; a timber spire was taken down in 1952. Either side are open lancet arcades of 2 bays on grey shafts with crocket capitals, ending in small cross-gabled vestries with 2-light windows with Decorated tracery and a ridge stack. The ends form 2 chapels, Church of England to the S and Nonconformist to the N, which have apsidal bays either side and an open porch in the ends. The bays have 5 pointed gables containing traceried lancet arches, with figures between; on the nave ridges are square, leaded lanterns set on the angle, with a steep roof and iron finial. The porches have encaustic tiles, a bench seat each side and a 2-leaf lancet door with strap hinges. The open entrances have paired red sandstone shafts beneath pointed arches, and gablet kneelers to the coping above. INTERIOR: open timber roofs on shafts with foliate corbels, 3 arched doorways on engaged shafts into the vestries, within a grand relieving arch with inscribed texts, and an encaustic-tiled floor.

Listing NGR: ST6161874677

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0103 IOE Records taken by Alan Bamforth; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Alan Bamforth. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Bamforth, Alan

Rights Holder: Bamforth, Alan

Keywords

Granite, Iron, Limestone, Pennant Stone, Rubble, Slate, Timber, Victorian Nonconformist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Mortuary Chapel

Back
to top