Church Of Holy Trinity
- 21 Jun 2000
- Church Of Holy Trinity, Southend Crescent Se9, Eltham, Greenwich, Greater London, SE9 2SD
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
4412 SOUTHEND CRESCENT SE9 (East Side)
Church of Holy Trinity TQ 4374 54/421
Nave, aisles, transepts, chancel, North porch, Western apse, North-east vestry extension. Original church by G E Street, 1870, extended at both ends in similar style by Sir A Blomfield in 1909. Random rubble with freestone dressings. High pitched, tiled roof. Aisle roofs of low pitch, no clerestory. Aisle windows groups of 2 and 3 lancets, some cusped. Single cusped lancets ground floor West, large windows above with flamboyant type tracery. Perpendicular type tracery to Lady Chapel and North transept and more flamboyant type to East window. Inside nave of 5 wide bays. Western baptistery divided from nave by screen, (choir screen moved?). Delicately carved octagonal font. Wagon roof to nave, wood rib vault to baptistery. Carved wood screens to transepts and chancel aisles.
South chancel aisle as memorial chapel to 29th Division. East end lined with oak panelling. 5 panel carved altarpiece, very 3-dimensional. Rood loft and rood.
Listing NGR: TQ4355674172
© Nick Blackburn. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Blackburn, Nick
Rights Holder: Blackburn, Nick
Rubble, Stone, Tile, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship