This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SEMINGTON DEVIZES ROAD ST 96 SW (north side) 5/187 Littleton Wood Farmhouse GV II
Farmhouse, now two dwellings. Circa 1500, extended C16 and mid C17. Rubble stone, partly timber-framed with brick nogging, stone slate roof with coped verges, stone or brick gable end stacks.
Rambling L-plan, hall range with added wings. Two-storey, 3-window south front. Four-panelled door in chamfered surround with lean-to porch to left, 2-light and 3-light cyma-mullioned casements to right, first floor has 2-light ovolo-mullioned casement over door, 2-light and 3-light cyma-mullioned casements to right. Right return has 2-light recessed chamfered-mullioned casement, C20 door to C16 link wing. Projecting to left of front is parlour of c1600, later stable, with recessed chamfered mullioned casements to south gable end, blocked door to east side, left return with lean-to addition, C19 canted bay with margin-pane French windows to left return of main range. Rear has restored leaded casements to timber-framed gable, blocked door to left. Early C17 parlour range to rear has 4-light ovolo-mullioned casements with king mullions and hoodmoulds to ground and first floor of rear and east gable end, 3-light mullioned casement to attics, coped verges and stack at west end. Single-storey outhouse extension attached rear right.
Interior: Hall range has open fireplace with chamfered lintel at west end, chamfered beams to inserted ceiling, chamber over has Tudor-arched stone fireplace. Smoke-blackened collar and tie-beam trusses over 2 bay former open hall, closed truss between open hall and 2-bay eastern service end. Short north wing has framed newel stairs with closed strings, splat balusters, square newels with finials and moulded handrail, probably late C16. C17 parlour wing has Tudor-arched stone fireplace with moulded cornice, fine plaster ceiling with thin moulded ribs in geometric design, floral decoration and moulded roundels, ovolo-moulded doorway with planked and ribbed door with ornamental strap hinges, first floor chamber with Tudor-arched stone fireplace with cornice, 2-bay collar and tie-beam trusses with chamfered purlins. House began as a timber- framed hall house of late Medieval date; C16 services extended and stairs added to north; hall ceiled, partly rebuilt in rubble stone and parlour added to south in early C17; mid C17 stone parlour wing built to north and south wing became a stable. Property owned by Long family from the Dissolution, an inventory in WRO lists goods belonging to Henry Long of Littleton Wood Farm, at his death in 1612.
(Wiltshire Buildings Record, Devizes)
Listing NGR: ST9082460136
© Gill Cardy. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cardy, Gill
Rights Holder: Cardy, Gill
Brick, Rubble, Stone, Timber, Medieval Farmhouse, Tudor Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Open Hall House, Monument (By Form), Hall House, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Stable, Animal Shed, Transport
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.