This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
1. MAISON DIEU 1549 (South Side) ------------ St Nicholas NZ 10 SE 6/2 1.8.52.
The oldest domestic house in Richmond. Built on the site of the C12 Benedictine hospital of St Nicholas, using the same material. C17 house in H plan, probably incorporating a small C16 building. Uncoursed rubble with stone - quoins, two storeys, exterior chimney stack, parapet, stone slate roof.
Front elevation: one window in each wing and three to the centre. Thoroughly "restored" in C19, partly by Ignatius Bonomi after Lord Dundas had bought it in 1813, when windows were enlarged though still with mullions and transoms, barge boards and fake gable added to roof, stone colonnade with parapet added to centre front, and kitchen extension to right. Some modern extensions to rear. Moulded and carved stones and corbels are built into the walls of the main buildings. Built into the outer wall of the kitchen extension is the C12(?) or C16 hospital gateway, a semi-circular moulded stone arch with the moulding continuing for a short distance either side as a string course. Interior may or may not have survived the C19. MMR.
Listing NGR: NZ1803500987
© Mr Ray Wallace Thompson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Thompson, Ray Wallace
Rights Holder: Thompson, Ray Wallace
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Building, Tudor Unassigned, Elizabethan House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling