This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD4761NW CASTLE PARK 1685-1/6/60 (North side) Piers and low wall around Castle precinct to south of Castle
Set of 12 piers and a dwarf wall, originally supporting railings. Early C19. Sandstone ashlar. Octagonal in plan, with a faceted pointed cap above a pronounced string course. Near the centre of the south side a pair of piers originally flanked an iron gate. HISTORY: placed to demarcate the boundary of the Castle Park which was laid out on and near the castle ditch. Not marked on Binns' map of 1821, but clearly shown on the 5 feet to the mile Ordnance Survey map surveyed in 1845. (Ordnance Survey: Map of Lancaster at Five Feet to One Mile: Southampton: 1849-).
Listing NGR: SD4731761798
© Mr Charles Satterly. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Satterly, Charles
Rights Holder: Satterly, Charles
Ashlar, Sandstone, Georgian Gate Pier, Victorian Unassigned, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Boundary Wall, Boundary