Church Of St Michael And All Angels
- 31 May 2002
- Church Of St Michael And All Angels, The Batch, Butcombe, North Somerset, Somerset, BS40 7UX
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 56 SW BUTCOMBE C.P. THE BATCH (west side)
6/60 Church of St. Michael and All Angels 9.2.61 G.V. II*
Anglican parish church. C15 with 1868 restoration and additions comprising south porch and north vestry. Squared and coursed rubble to main body, squared and coursed dressed stone to tower and south aisle parapet, flush rusticated dressed stone quoins, stone copings and C20 plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south tower, south transeptal chapel, south porch, north transept, north vestry. All windows are 2 and 3 Perpendicular lights with cusped tracery under pointed heads with hoodmoulds. Chancel has Tudor arched blocked south doorway. South tower of 3 stages with set-back buttresses, moulded string courses, polygonal north west corner stair turret and embattled parapet with corner gargoyles. South face has a 2-cusped-light window to 1st stage and above, 2 stages of 2-light bell openings with cusped heads, quatrefoils and simple louvres. At the 2nd stage the buttressing develops into crocketted pinnacled shafts which flank 2 aedicules with crocketted and fleur de lys decorated canopies. C19 south doorway with above, a C15 niche in which is set a 1931 statue of St. George. I.C.B.S. plaque on porch west wall recording 1868 restoration. C19 plank door. Interior. Wagon roof to nave. Complex moulded chancel arch with further arches either side to small 2 bay transept on the north and tower and transeptal chapel on the south. Arch between tower and chapel has dying imposts. Wagon roof to chancel, compartmented roof to chapel restored 1923. Perpendicular statue niche in south chapel east wall. Fittings. Nave at south door has octagonal Perpendicular font with quatrefoil panels and Perpendicular style rood screen and pulpit installed in 1916 and 1919 respectively. Several C18. and C19 wall monuments under tower.
Fragments of medieval stained glass in south chapel east window, late C19 stained glass in nave and chancel windows. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5153861873
Copyright IoE Mr Peter Bassingham. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Bassingham, Peter
Rights Holder: Bassingham, Peter
Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Plaque, Statue, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Sculpture, Garden Ornament, Street Furniture