This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD5328NE RIBBLESDALE PLACE 941-1/13/229 (South side) 27/09/79 No.3 and attached railings
House, now office. c.1830, slightly altered. Red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings, slate roof and stone chimneys. Double-depth, double-fronted plan with bow to rear. Two storeys over basement, 3 bays, symmetrical, the centre breaking forwards slightly; ashlar basement treated as a plinth, 1st-floor sill-band, plain frieze and moulded cornice with blocking course. The centre has a stone porch on 2 steps, with Ionic columns and pilasters, plain frieze and moulded cornice with blocking course, protecting a wide elliptical-arched doorway with a pilastered tripartite wooden doorcase (side windows and fanlight with altered glazing). The windows are sashed without glazing bars and have raised sills and wedge lintels. Hipped roof of shallow pitch, with 8 tall corniced stone chimneys. The basement areas each side of the porch are protected by heavily ornamented cast-iron railings, with rosette and anthemion panels, foliated bands above and below, and tall finials with rings for former chains, both sets run-out to terminate against flanking screen walls, with curved corners, and gates (near the left end and at the right-hand end, respectively). The left return wall has a sashed window at 1st floor with margin panes (C20 extension at ground floor); the right-hand return wall has a tall stair window. The rear, which is 3-storeyed with basement at ground level, has a full-height semicircular bow with a round-headed garden door under a fanlight with radiating tracery, curved sashed windows on all floors (9-paned at basement level, without glazing bars above), 1st-floor sill-band carried round, and a roof deck protected by cast-iron railings; and at the west end a narrow 2-storey extension with a canted oriel. INTERIOR: entrance hall with exceptionally elaborate decoration including a screen with fluted Corinthian columns distyle in antis, and richly decorated moulded plaster cornices, etc; staircase with fine curvilinear cast-iron balusters and wreathed mahogany handrail. History: occupied c.1840 by John Horrocks (partner in Horrocks, Jacson & Co, cotton spinners and manufacturers).
Listing NGR: SD5397328881
© Mr Ian Scott. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Scott, Ian
Rights Holder: Scott, Ian
Ashlar, Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Georgian House, Victorian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Office, Unassigned, Building