This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRADING SZ6086 HIGH STREET (East side) 1352-0/6/42 Church of St Mary 18/01/67 GV I Parish church. Nave of c1200, North and South aisles C13 with C15 windows, chancel and west Tower C13, south porch and north and south chapels C15, the chancel lengthened to the east in 1865 when the church was restored by the Oglander family.
Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with stone steeple and tiled roof. West Tower late C13 of 3 stages with processional way through from north to south. West north and south arches have large chamfers. Middle stage has double lancet under one pointed arch. Pseudo-machicolations and stone recessed spire with iron weathercock. External wooden ladder to bell chamber.
North aisle has C13 west lancets and 3 Perpendicular double cinquefoil-headed lights with dripmould and pointed arched doorcase. Roof has 4 pseudo-gables, C19 brick ridge tiles and cross-shaped saddle stone. South aisle has 4 triple cinquefoil-headed lights in arched surround with dripmoulding and central C15 gabled south porch, not used as such at time of survey with cross-shaped saddlestone, offset buttresses and arched doorcase with hood moulding. South or Oglander chapel has 2 triple cinquefoil-headed lights in arched heads with dripmoulds divided by buttress and cross-shaped saddlestone.
Chancel has gable end of 1866 with triple lancet having elaborate floral corbel stops. North or De Aula chapel has 2 C15 cinquefoil-headed lights in arched surround, buttresses and C13 arched doorway.
Interior: nave has North and South arcades of c1200 with round piers and multi-scalloped capitals having square abaci with chamfered corners. Roof of Nave and aisles is of 1866. 3 wooden hatchments in North aisle. Small octagonal stone font lead lined and dated 1631. Larger square stone font, the upper part appearing to be made out of a stone capital of c1200, the base C19. Parish chest, oak with stylized wooden claws dated Anno 1634 with initials DN and IF. North aisle east end has tomb to Elizabeth T A Rollo d 1875, marble effigy of a child asleep on a mattress. 3 C18 basalt tomb slabs in floor.
Chancel has 2 bay arcade to south or Oglander Chapel has piers of 8 shafts and 8 hollows section and 4 centred arches of complex moulding. North aisle has 2 bay arcade with plain octagonal piers but similar arches to south chapel. C12 pillar piscina with spiral decoration on south wall. One C18 black basalt tomb slab and Purbeck stone slab to John Curwen Constable of Porchester d 1441 with figure in armour and elaborate canopy inperspective. C17 oak communion table.
South or Oglander chapel is notable for its monuments, one of the finest collections in the Isle of Wight. Nunwell House was the family seat. North wall has tomb of Sir Oliver Oglander, Lieutenant Governor of Guernsey d 1536. Tomb chest incorporating under cinquefoil-headed arches a kneeling father, 4 sons, wife and 3 daughters. Adjoining to east is tomb of Sir John Oglander the Diarist d 1655. Oak recumbant figure on half rolled up mat in full armour with crossed legs and heraldic lion in imitation of C14 effigies, the whole on stone tomb chest. Above in round-headed stone niche is a small monument to his son George Oglander d 1632, also an oak recumbant effigy on half-rolled mat. South wall has tomb of Sir William Oglander d 1608. oak recumbant effigy in attitude of prayer on half rolled up mat with heraldic lion at feet, the whole on stone tomb chest. Adjoining to west is tomb of Sir John Oglander d 1483, stone chest tomb with quatrefoil and arch decoration with blank shields. To west of this is the tomb of Sir Henry Oglander d 1874, chest tomb in Arts and Crafts Jacobean style designed by J C Powell 1897 of marble alabaster and mosaic with 2 small white angels at the front by Henry Pegson. 6 C18 basalt tomb slabs to members of the Oglander family. 1 hatchment. C19 roof dated 1866 with row of shields in cornice. North or De Aula chapel has 2 chest tombs.
In south wall a stone tomb chest with 3 cusped lozenges to William Howlys d 1520, in north wall an almost identical chest tomb to his wife Elizabeth.
(Buildings of England:Lloyd D:Hampshire and the Isle of Wight:733-735).
Listing NGR: SZ6066187316
© Mr Derek Barrett. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Barrett, Derek
Rights Holder: Barrett, Derek
Bembridge Limestone, Rubble, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Tomb, Funerary Site, Chest Tomb, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.