This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL SJ 33 SW (Llangollen Branch) 7/169 Broom's Bridge (that part - in Ellesmere Rural C.P.) - II Accommodation bridge. Circa 1801 with minor later alterations on William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Painted brick with stone coping terminating in square corner piers. Elliptical arch with flat string course and late C20 oval-shaped plate numbered "7" on east side.
This section of the Ellesmere Canal was completed c.1801. The Ellesmere Canal Company amalgamated with the Chester Canal Company in 1813 and became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. Charles Hadfield, Canals of the West Midlands (3rd edn. 1985), p. 173; Edward Wilson, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal (1975), pp. 19-20.
Listing NGR: SJ3456932798
© Mr Les White. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: White, Les
Rights Holder: White, Les
Brick, Stone, Georgian Accommodation Bridge, Transport, Canal Transport Site, Water Transport Site, Bridge