This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SW84NW KENWYN CHURCH ROAD 880-1/1/82 (East side) 29/12/50 Church of St Keyne (Formerly Listed as: KENWYN Church of St Cuby)
Parish church. Consecrated 1259, extended C15, greatly restored 1819 and 1860. Local rubble with granite and some freestone dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends and crested clay ridge tiles. Originally a cruciform plan of which north wall of nave, chancel and possibly foundations of north transept survive, extended in the early C15 with south aisle and south porch and in later C15 with west tower; organ transept rebuilt probably 1860. 3-stage tower has angle buttresses set back from the corners, string courses dividing stages; embattled papapet with crocketed corner pinnacles; round-arched west doorway with C15 three-light traceried window above and traceried louvred windows to belfry. Tower windows are typical late C15 Perpendicular style; C15 windows to north and south aisle windows have Y tracery, some have had mullions and tracery restored in the C19. C15 south porch doorway has moulded responds and 4-centred arch; inner doorway also 4-centred. C19 windows: to transepts, to west window of aisle, to east end of aisle and 5-light east window to chancel, with interesting tracery. INTERIOR: plastered walls; C15 tower arch and tall standard A-type (Pevsner) arcade with 4-centred arches; C19 waggon roofs to nave, chancel and aisle. C19 arch-braced roofs to transepts. C19 memorial windows with coloured glass: east chancel to Carlyon, north chancel to George and Jacobi Cornish; south chancel to J R Cornish; west tower to Carlyon, choir aisle south to Tippett and Blamey; south transept east to Reverend Charles Burgess, west to William Mansell Tweedy. Fittings: C17 painted letter from Charles I; otherwise C19 fittings including granite font, pews and pulpit and freestone reredos with trefoil-headed squat colonnade of 9 bays. Monuments: in north transept nowy-headed plaster and slate wall monument to Edmund Powell 1784; in south transept wall marble to John Richards Paul of Bosvigo 1826-1907, north wall Gothic-style limestone wall monument to William Mitchell 1845, south wall marble monument with urn by Isbell to George John (and family) 1808 of Trehaverne and marble monument with shield and urn by King to George Nicholas John 1797, aged 8. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: London: 1951-1970: 84-5).
Listing NGR: SW8196845852
© Mr John E. Crowe. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Crowe, John E.
Rights Holder: Crowe, John E.
Freestone, Granite, Rubble, West Country Slate, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.