This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CHULMLEIGH CHULMLEIGH SS 6814-6914 7/35 Church of St Mary Magdalene 20.2.67 GV I Parish church. None of the fabric appears to predate the late C15, with apparently few later alterations until the restoration of 1878-9 by Ashworth. Unrendered stone rubble with ashlar dressings. West tower of dressed stone with granite dressings.
Slate roof with coped gable ends and apex crosses.
Plan: west tower, navel chancel, north and south aisles and south porch.
Exterior: Impressive west tower of 4 stages with setback buttresses, crocketted pinnacles to each of the set-offs, embattled parapet with large pinnacles each surmounted by a weathervane. 3 light pointed arched bell openings to each face with slate louvres. 2 light pointed arched granite window to second stage on south side.
Fine granite west straight-headed doorway, with heavily moulded pointed arched surround, quatrefoil and mouchette traceried spandrels and large decorative label stops to the hoodmould. Large 4 light west window with pointed arched granite surround, the mullions replaced in C19. Blind quatrefoil tracery to the sill.
Blocked west window to south aisle. 4 principally C19 Perpendicular style 3-light windows to south aisle, 2 to centre with human head corbels, and similar 3-light window at east end. C15 south porch with embattled parapet, diagonal buttresses, blind quatrefoil traceried panels to the front and canopied niche above ogee hollow moulded doorway. C19 roof structure. Above the inner doorway is a probably Norman square stone with a figure of the Crucifixus in a roundel.
Small C19 priests doorway with shouldered head in the angle of south aisle and chancel. C19 2-light pointed arched window on south side and large Perpendicular style 5-light east window to east end of chancel, both with human head corbels. C19 vestry on north side has polygonal chimney pot with crenellated cap to gable end stack. Four 3-light C19 Perpendicular style windows to north aisle and small C15 pointed arched north doorway with ogee hollow moulded surround and cushion stops.
Interior: Continuous north and south arcades of 5 bays with piers of Pevsner 'A' type with capitals only to the main shafts. Original ceiled wagon-roofs throughout, the panels in the chancel smaller than the nave and aisles with carved bosses at the intersections of the ribs and angel figures bearing shields to the wallplates of nave and chancel. Tall granite tower arch, the imposts of Pevsner 'A' type. Impressive C16 screen restored in 1914 across nave and aisles, 15 bays in all, with standard Pevsner 'A' type tracery, original ribbed coving, tracery decoration between the ribs and cornices with 3 bands of close ornament and cresting.
C19 chancel fittings, stone reredos, patterned tiled floor and piscina in north wall.
C19 nave and chancel seating with coved bench ends. Pulpit 1869 by Fulford, with elaborate traceried panels to the polygonal drum and curved figures in canopied niches at the angles. C19 font. Fine centrally placed wrought iron chandelier.
Funerary helm, possibly late C16 towards east end of north aisle.
Stained glass: some of the glass is by Hardman. East windows of chancel and aisles have windows in memory of Revd. George Hole, d.1859. South side of south aisle to John Adams Tidboald and wife, Revd. Marsden Gilson (erected 1903), Margaret Hanson, d.1917. West window not accessible.
Monuments: south aisle to Revd. Webb, d.1767 and wife; early C18 Baroque monument to children of Humphrey Bury Esq., in high relief, with oval tablet flanked by angels, large achievement and cherubs head to base; and to Mary Stucley Palmer and Richard Stucley by Kendall of Exeter.
Listing NGR: SS6868214153
© Dr Ann Allen. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Allen, Ann
Rights Holder: Allen, Ann
Ashlar, Granite, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship