This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ROWLEY Rowley SE 93 SE 6/91 Rowley Manor 7.2.68 GV II
Rectory, now a hotel. Principal block of c1710 for Rev William Hildyard, raised by a storey, and east wind added, for Rev Robert Croft (rector 1786- 1831). West wing completed 1921. Interior furnishings added after the rectory became a private house in 1924. Red brick with stone dressings, timber eaves cornice, slate roofs. Rusticated quoins to principal block of 3 storeys, 5 bays. Centre bay breaks forward to C20 glazed door with overlight with glazing bars flanked to right and left by sashes with glazing bars and sills under flat gauged brick arches. First floor: 5 similar sashes. Second floor: five C20 replacement windows with glazing bars and sills under slightly canted gauged brick arches. Moulded timber eaves cornice, hipped roof, end and axial stacks. Late C18 wing to right: 2 storeys, single-bay width. Sashes with glazing bars and sills to ground and first floors. Hipped roof. Wing to left has scattered fenestration of sashes and garden doors with glazing bars. Hipped roof, end and front roof- pitch stacks. Present entrance to rear of main block. Interior: fine early C18 closed-string stair, of pine, with square section newels with pendants and heavy twisted balusters supporting moulded and ramped handrail. Ramped dado with bolection moulded panels. North room of the east wing is entirely lined with early C18 pine panelling: large raised and fielded panels and panelled dado, with fields enriched with egg-and-dart, incorporating a fireplace in an eared surround with a frieze with festoons and a shell.
Elaborate overmantel with carved wicker basket from which fall festoons and drops of fruit and flowers. Door of 6 enriched raised and fielded panels in an eared architrave with bead-and-reel ornament under a carved pulvinated frieze and broken pediment. Deep modillion eaves cornice around the room.
Each of the south rooms of the early block (now one room) has similar fireplaces in eared surrounds under pulvinated friezes with deep foliage carving and elaborate cornices. The panelled overmantels have been largely re-made. Dentilled cornice enriched with egg and dart. A first-floor room in the early block has a bolection-moulded fireplace.
Listing NGR: SE9753232584
© Mr Les Waby. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Waby, Les
Rights Holder: Waby, Les
Brick, Slate, Stone, Timber, Stuart Vicarage, Georgian Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Monument <By Form>, Hostel, Commercial, Residential Building