This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SE 45 SW HUNSINGORE CHURCH STREET (north side)
6/60 Lychgate to church of St.
John the Baptist
Lychgate to church of St. John the Baptist. 1867. Probably by Charles Kirk of Sleaford for Joseph Dent of Ribston Hall (q.v.). Pink sandstone and ashlar, slate roof. Square plan, open sided, in Gothic style with double-chamfered arch to each side and diagonal buttresses. Ashlar coping to gables, steeply-pitched roof. Interior: stone bench on north side, groined vault. Gate: wrought iron, single leaf approximately 1.2 metres high. Pointed bars, short dog-bars, bands of scroll ornament. The church (q.v.) was rebuilt in 1867 and the lychgate is built against the mound of the old church. Its design therefore allows for passage through the south and west sides of the structure instead of the usual direct route through south and north.
Listing NGR: SE4288353526
© Mr David Robson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Robson, David
Rights Holder: Robson, David
Ashlar, Sandstone, Slate, Wrought Iron, Victorian Lych Gate, Religious Ritual And Funerary