This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SEAVINGTON ST MARY CP UPTON LANE (East side) ST41NW SEAVINGTON ABBOTS 2/72 Upton House, and front boundary railings 4.2.58
Detached farmhouse. Circa 1700. Modified and extended in C19. Ham stone near-ashlar; clay pantiled roof between stepped coped gables; brick chimney sticks. Two storeys with attic; 7 bays, of which bays 1 to 3 are apparently later. Casement windows with horizontal bars, 3-light to bay 1 and upper bays 2 and 3; below bays 2 and 3 a 4-light, thereafter all 2-light; continuous labels to both levels bays 4 to 7, the lower being stepped up over each opening: to lower bay 3 a wide 6-panel door of Regency pattern hung in heavy frame, protected by an open timber porch with 2 rudimentary Doric stone columns and a Welsh slated pitched roof. Further casements on south gable, the upper with hood and an iron-framed opening light, also attic window with hood. Leanto extension at rear. Interior not seen. About 2 metres west of house, with returns to porch and to south-west corner of house, a low stone kerb with cast-iron railings about one metre high having acanthus bud tops, with arch-braced standards and matching side gates adjacent to porch, all adding to the setting of the house and of the streetscene.
Listing NGR: ST4068215340
© Mr Michael Perry. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Perry, Michael
Rights Holder: Perry, Michael
Ashlar, Cast Iron, Clay, Ham Hill Stone, Pantile, Stone, Tile, Stuart Farmhouse, Georgian Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Railings