This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HORNING TG 31 NE 8/46 St. James' Hospital Chapel 16.4.55 - II
Chapel to Hospital of St. James, the last pilgrimage stop before St. Benet's Abbey. Founded 1153, chapel built C14, dissolved 1539, converted to barn late C18 and altered. Coursed cut flint with ashlar dressings and brick repairs.
Thatched roof. Rectangular plan with diagonal stepped corner buttresses and 2 stepped side buttresses to north and south flanks. Arched west doorway with C20 door. Hood mould hollow and wave moulded. Above is blocked arched window.
Buttresses with flushwork. North side buttresses ruinous. Central segmental- headed C20 barn doors. To right and left one blocked C14 window with hood mould. Low arched recess to left, blocked with brick. South side with small central C20 access door flanked by 2 C14 arched windows as north. East end window also blocked, now with segmental-headed hay loft access door. Gabled roof with C18 raised parapets on kneelers. Interior. Window embrasures and some C14 jambs survive. Roof of tie beams, principals, 2 tiers butt purlins and curved collars. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County number 142.
Listing NGR: TG3722016312
© Mr David Edleston. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Edleston, David
Rights Holder: Edleston, David
Ashlar, Flint, Thatch, Medieval Hospital, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Barn, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building