This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ4912NW CASTLE STREET 653-1/11/175 (South East side) Former Church of St Nicholas
Former church, now converted to offices. c1850. By RC Bennett of Weymouth. Coursed and squared limestone, with plain tiled roofs. PLAN: Romanesque style with high and short nave, with lean-to aisles, and vestigial apse. EXTERIOR: high west gable, with deep moulding to round-arched doorway with triple shafts and foliate and trumpet capitals. Lean-to aisle to right with side door and round-arched window in west end. Circular stair turret to left, with narrow stair windows. Curved corner to north aisle, with doorway recessed across angle, with engaged shafts with foliate capitals. 4-bay aisle divided by a central buttress. Simple round-arched windows, and circular windows in short clerestory above. A well-articulated example, in the neo-Norman style, which makes an important contribution to the streetscape. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1858-).
Listing NGR: SJ4941012747
© Mr Clive Shenton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Shenton, Clive
Rights Holder: Shenton, Clive
Limestone, Tile, Georgian Church, Victorian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Office, Unassigned, Building