This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ASHTEAD RECTORY CLOSE TQ 1857-1957 8/36 7.9.51 The Old Rectory
Rectory, now house and flats. 1777, extended and altered; and partitioned c.1930.
Roughcast (probably on brick); slate roof. Irregular rectangular plan on north- south axis. Mostly 3 storeys: west front composed of set-back 2-bay centre, mostly altered, with 2 doorways at ground floor under a canopy; a 2-bay north wing with tall 2-light casements at ground floor, 12-pane sashes at 1st floor, and 6-pane sashes at 2nd floor; and a bowed 3-bay south wing of 2 storeys to the same height with tall 8-pane sashes at ground floor and 12-pane sashes above; with a modillioned cornice carried round the whole, a hipped roof with 2 dormers in the north wing, and various chimneys. Right-hand return wall of south wing has 2 extruded chimney stacks. Rear: 2-storey 3-bay centre, a short linking bay to the left, bows to both wings; in the link, an inserted doorway, a round- headed stairwindow and an oculus above; various French windows and 12, 6, and 4-pane sashes, including a 12-pane sashed semi-dormer breaking the eaves of the north wing. Interior: the house which occupies the south end contains an open- well staircase with open string, scrolled brackets, columnar newels, stick balusters and wreathed curtail; various moulded plaster cornices. Reference: Proc.LDLHS VoL5, No.1, 1987.
Listing NGR: TQ1868757820
© Peter Karry. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Karry, Peter
Rights Holder: Karry, Peter
Brick, Roughcast, Slate, Georgian Vicarage, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Apartment, Monument <By Form>